Thursday, March 17, 2005

This is why I just point at menus

Did I embarrass myself at lunch yesterday by pronouncing conch as it's spelled (like couch with a "n" in place of the "u")? Or is it pronounced "konk"? Anyway, it was part of a chowder for my second-to-last meal in Charleston, at a Cuban restaurant called Avondale Station. I've never been to Cuba, so I can't speak to the place's authenticity, but I enjoyed its atmosphere. Brightly colored, with floor-to-ceiling windows that were essentially garage doors (I think the building used to be a gas station) that could be opened when the weather's nice enough. So everyone can feel like they're eating outdoors. And man, I love those Cuban flat grill sandwiches with ham, pork, swiss cheese, pickles and mustard pressed and grilled between two pieces of Cuban bread.

... I need to start jogging (or as I like to call it, walking faster) when I get back to Iowa, don't I?