Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Technology: Such a cruel mistress

Mozilla Firefox and I have been carrying on a steamy affair since last summer. Even when Microsoft Internet Explorer occasionally bats its eyelashes at me and reminds me it's still around, I barely take a look. I'm too smitten with Firefox. I'm sure many of you have found yourselves in similarly torrid romances.

But last night, I was reminded that no relationship is perfect. Suddenly, for no explicable reason, all of my bookmarks were gone. So were all the cookies. Saved passwords? Bye-bye. Home pages? Almost like they never existed.

I have no idea what happened. (I'm sure someone who actually knows something about web browsers could tell me, "Oh yeah, your blah-blah-blah gobbledy-gooked. You need to wah-wah-wah-wah-wah-wah.") Everything was going so well. We were spending so much time together. Maybe I scared Firefox, overwhelming her with all those new blog bookmarks. It was like the out-of-nowhere mood swing, or the surprising racist remark, from the person you're dating. Where did that come from?

So fiery, so foxy, yet still a mystery to me...