Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Could you put up those "Gates" again?

Here's a good laugh to read with your morning coffee (after you visit The G-Man News Stand, of course). Peter Mehlman, whose work many of you may know from "Seinfeld," has a hilarious essay in today's New York Times, in which he asks the city of New York to please restore "The Gates" in Central Park, because he'll be visiting from Los Angeles. A taste for you:

"I'm writing to let the city of New York know that I'll be coming into town in a few weeks and would greatly appreciate it if you would put "The Gates" back up. Friends and family back in the city told me it was 'really something.'"

I wish I could find a link to another Mehlman piece, titled "Mandela Was Late." It's about Nelson Mandela's parole officer and originally ran in Esquire magazine. Unfortunately, all the links I found on Google want you to register before accessing the article. Rats. I guess you'll have to trust me when I say it's hilarious. Or stop at your local library. Or go through the extreme inconvenience of registering with findmedia.com. Sorry.