Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Head in the sand

Some friends and family have asked me how I feel about the Terri Schiavo case. I haven't read much about it, and to be honest, I try to avoid it. Looking at all the coverage the 24-hour cable news networks have given this story only makes me want to turn the channel. I just don't have much passion on the subject, and that usually doesn't make for a good blog entry.

David Rees comes pretty close to echoing my thoughts on the subject in his comic, "Get Your War On." Here's a clip from his latest strip:

www.mnftiu.cc

Click the link for much more. Rees's feelings are a little harsher than mine, but the sentiment is similar.

Here's my quick take: I don't think the government should get involved in a personal, family matter - especially when it comes off like political grandstanding - and that's about as far as it goes for me.

Don't we all have a right to refuse medical attention? Isn't that what this really comes down to? If this is a poor analogy, I'm sure you'll let me know, but if I break my arm, I don't have to see a doctor. I should, but what if I don't want to? Isn't that my right?

Am I over-simplifying the matter? Is it more serious than that because we're talking about the "right to life," and this is a situation of life and death?