Friday, April 15, 2005

Pressed for time

I apologize for the quickies today. Normally I like to spend as much time with you, tending to your needs, as possible.

▪ What are the worst consecutive songs you've ever heard from a jukebox? (There has to be a better way to phrase that question. I ask you to refer to this entry's title.) Last night at The Mill, everyone at our table was brought to a halt and nearly reduced to tears from Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah." Man, what a powerful song. And who knew drinking could make guys so emotional? So what kept the feeling going? What was the next tune? Paul Simon's "You Can Call Me Al." Wow. What a follow-up. I suppose it cheered us up. Did the same person choose those songs? And if so, did he or she realize what they were doing?

▪ I have to give a shout-out to a handful of my fellow bloggers who graciously and generously took the time to help me out with an essay I'm working on about the blog culture. John, Susannah, Liz, Evan, and J9 - you guys are great. I appreciate you guys giving me your input.

Fried Rice Thoughts's New York correspondent, Mis Hooz, is visiting Iowa City for the weekend, so I don't know if I'll be blogging much over the weekend. (I'm sure she'd love it if I did.) This midwestern boy is gonna show the big city girl how we get things done in corn country. Of course, I think she'll love it and want to move out here, a la Lucinda Trout in Meghan Daum's The Quality of Life Report (an extremely enjoyable book, if you're looking for a fun read).

Enjoy your weekend.