Monday, April 25, 2005

Monday mess-around

Anyone remember Larry King's old "News & Views" column that ran in USA Today on Mondays? The one where he'd just throw a bunch of random non-sequiturs together and call it a column? Oh, just asking...

▪ It snowed yesterday in Michigan. Some areas received up to 14 inches of the white stuff! The Detroit Tigers game was postponed because of snow on April 24. That $#!+ is crazy. My Michigan peeps don't need me to tell them that, of course. But I thought it was worth noting.

▪ I watched Closer last night, and wished I'd written every single line that came out of Clive Owen's mouth. I'm still not sure whether or not it was a good movie; the ending was kind of a head-scratcher. But I bet Owen had fun playing his character.

▪ I usually hate reruns, but I'd love a spring-summer repeat of the Detroit Pistons winning the NBA championship. The Pistons looked awesome on Saturday, smacking down the Philadelphia 76ers, 106-85, in game 1 of their playoff series. Could Detroit have an even better team than they did last year? Hmm... could be.

▪ Last night's episode of Deadwood was disappointing for only one reason. Last week, Mis Hooz and I did shots of whiskey every time someone said "cocksucker." (And if you've ever watched the show, you know that could get a person stinkin' drunk by the end of an episode.) Unfortunately, I only counted one "cocksucker" last night. (Did I miss any?) Oh well. I did have to get up early today.

▪ Am I starting to get attached to Iowa City before I leave? I thought this town was full of $5.00 pitcher/$1.00 shot frat bars. But I went to a couple of cool places over the weekend, both of which had some good live jazz and a nice beer selection. I wish I'd have found those joints earlier in my Iowa tenure.

▪ Another movie I watched this weekend: P.S., starring Laura Linney and Topher Grace. This didn't get nearly the amount of attention it should have; I don't know how many cities it even played in. It's about a woman in her late-30s who meets a younger man, and becomes convinced he could be the reincarnation of a boyfriend who died in an auto accident 20 years ago. Linney is great in everything she does, but I might be biased since I'm totally in love with her. (A couple of my friends just nodded their heads and rolled their eyes.)

▪ I noticed the Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago Cubs went back to "classic" uniforms, with no player names on the backs of the jerseys. They only have numbers on their backs, like the New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, and San Francisco Giants. (However, the Red Sox and Giants have player names on their road uniforms.) It's a little thing, but I think it looks great. The less stuff on the jersey, the better. A clean, simple look. I wish the Tigers would do the same thing, at least with their home uniforms.