Tuesday, May 03, 2005

More finger food

Didn't we just get done with all this finger-in-my-food junk? Apparently it's the new thing. Over the weekend, Clarence Stowers of Wilmington, N.C., found a surprise in his cup of frozen chocolate custard.

"I thought it was candy because they put candy in your ice cream," Stowers said to TV station WWAY.

Yes, Clarence. Whenever I taste something long and fleshy in my mouth, I think to myself, "Boy oh boy, what did Dairy Queen put in my Blizzard today?"

"So I said, 'Okay, well, I'll just put it in my mouth and get the ice cream off of it and see what it is.'"

Clarence, I do the exact same thing whenever I get one of those really big chunks of peanut butter cup in a pint of Ben & Jerry's. I have to see the chunk to believe my luck.

After spitting the mysterious object out of his mouth, Stowers rinsed it off in the sink so he could see what it really was. Once it was obvious, he "just started screaming."

But this isn't another Wendy's, I-lied-about-the-finger-in-my-chili situation. The owner of the frozen custard shop confirmed that one of his employees recently lost part of a finger in the machine that processes the custard. Whoops!

According to the AP story, Mr. Now Fingerless lost his finger after dropping a bucket used to catch the custard dispensed from the machine. When he tried to catch the bucket, well, apparently his hand went where it shouldn't have. As co-workers tried to help the man, someone took the custard from the bucket and put it into the pint that eventually went to Clarence Stowers.

I'm guessing he didn't know there was a finger in the bucket. And that guy should be Employee of the Month. The job must go on. Someone's on the floor, writhing in pain, holding a bloody limb, and surrounded by co-workers? Hey, the people still want their custard, man.