Friday, May 06, 2005

Friday fretting

Bringing up personal business on the blog can often be awkward or uneasy, but I just got news that my father's suffered complications from his hernia surgery earlier in the week and checked into the hospital last night. I've been climbing the walls, agonizing over whether or not to drive home to Michigan, but my mother talked me out of it last night, since I have final papers and portfolios due next week. (Direct quote from Mom: "If you come home, you won't get that degree! Stay there! We're fine!")

As I'm sure many of you can relate to, the feeling of helplessness that comes from being 450 miles away from your family when someone is sick is an awful one. 450 miles has never seemed so far. But I guess I have to trust that my father is in good hands at the hospital and accept that there's not a whole lot I can do other than sit by the phone, check e-mail, and finish what I started here in Iowa. And, of course, use this blog to keep me from going crazy. So if I post a bunch of nonsensical entries today, you'll know why.