Sunday, May 08, 2005

Cecilia Casselberry, today's your day

Of course I called my mother this morning to wish her a Happy Mother's Day. As we were talking, it occurred to me that, with my father currently in the hospital, she's probably had much better Mother's Days. I know that's the furthest thing from her mind right now, but I'd be a bad son if I didn't type a few words of praise for the woman who's held our family together through several of these scares over the past 10 years.

I can't help but curse the current circumstances that keep me from fully giving her the support she needs right now. (But she would say it's appropriate and point to one of my early college report cards as the worst Mother's Day gift she'd ever received.) Yet I wouldn't be in Iowa, following my ambitions and dreams, if not for her love and encouragement. I can't imagine a mother giving more to her child.

But I'll try my best to return the favor. I know she could go for a Mother's Day brunch, since she's been eating hospital cafeteria food all weekend. Mom, when I come home next week, we'll have a belated feast at your favorite restaurant, Tuptim. And I promise my report card will be better this time around.