Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Let's revel in my narcissism!

Please indulge this rather gratuitous post. Today is my birthday. (How old am I? I'm younger than 40! Whoo-hoo!) It's a bittersweet one, of course, and the mood isn't as celebratory as it could be, but we're trying to enjoy the occasion down here in Charleston. Mom and Sis are taking me out to dinner at a Korean restaurant. Why a Korean restaurant? Mom and Sis made faces when I said I wanted a fried chicken dinner for my birthday.

"But Ian, it's your birthday. You should go where you want." Hey, I hear you, man. But maybe it's just as well. I probably don't need to be eating fried chicken, especially in this butt-hot and humid Charleston weather. Besides, I want everyone to enjoy the evening. That's the kind of guy I am. And as long as we go out for ice cream afterwards, I'll be a happy guy.

Or maybe I'll get surprised with a birthday cake. Mom and Sis could be hiding this one in the closet.


Courtesy of The Cake Fairy


I would've loved that as a kid. But my nerd complex would've kicked in and pointed out that Superman has black hair. So again, it's just as well.

After reading that today is also Frank Lloyd Wright's birthday, I was reminded of how I often lamented the fact that I didn't share a birthday with any cool celebrities. But thanks to the wonders of the internet, my research can be more comprehensive than it used to be. Look at the party we June 8th guys would have! In the birthday lounge, Jerry Stiller, Boz Scaggs, Nancy Sinatra (let Boz do the singing, Nanc), and Keenan Ivory Wayans could all share drinks with me. And in the corner of the room, I could be nuzzling with Juliana Margulies and Maria Menounos!

Here's what Maria might wear to the party.



Happy Birthday to me, indeed.