Friday, June 10, 2005

Belated kudos

I was having internet troubles yesterday (i.e., the wireless signal I'd been pirating from someone is Sis's condo complex wasn't working for me), so I didn't get the chance to write about the University of Michigan's softball team, which won its first national championship with a 4-1 victory in 10 innings over defending champion UCLA. Samantha Findlay - who I'm sure could beat me arm wrestling - won the game with a 3-run homer in the top of the 10th inning.

After getting home from my birthday dinner, Sis and I watched the whole thing. And that would be the first time I've ever watched a college softball game on TV, even though ESPN's been showing games throughout the season. And I shouldn't have been surprised, but I really enjoyed the game - probably because I was rooting for Michigan.

How's this for a factoid: Michigan is the first school east of the Mississippi River to win the national championship in college softball. Usually, those west coast schools take home the crown. Pretty cool.

Even cooler was the huge crowd that greeted the softball team when it returned to Ann Arbor. And the game drew ESPN's highest ratings ever for a softball game. Congratulations, ladies.