Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Notes from a station wagon

♦ Susannah touched on this yesterday at Pub of Knowledge, but I can't help but think I picked the worst time of year to drive from South Carolina to Michigan. (I know, I know - all weekends from here to Labor Day will probably be awful.) How much was gas when you had to fill up this weekend? What was the worst price you saw? I thought $2.56 per gallon was bad in North Carolina. Then I saw $2.59 here in Michigan. How soon before we hit $3.00? (California's already there.)

EDIT: It's up to $2.79 at all of the stations I drove by on Packard in Ann Arbor. Ergh.

♦ Best road trip snack food? I say it's Combos. What do you say? (Should we limit the criteria to what you can buy at a gas station?)

♦ To the man at the Ohio rest stop who yelled "Hawkeyes Suck!" at me after seeing my Iowa Football t-shirt: Look, don't yell at a man while he's peeing, okay? Show some class and wait until I'm done. I should've turned around and soaked your shoes. Besides, you're wrong - your Buckeyes suck, pal.

♦ How old do you have to be for your mother to stop reminding you not to pick up hitchhikers?

♦ Does anyone still have a tape player in their car? My father's Ford Taurus wagon does. (Hey, it's no chick magnet, but that V6 engine works much better on the freeway than my lil' Honda Civic.) If you had to listen to tapes on a road trip, what could you take from your music collection right now?

What's left after you threw all your tapes out when you converted to CD? Or did you save them all? I wish I had. This is what we had to work with on the 900-mile drive, between my mother's tape collection and what I still had in a shoebox:

• Billy Joel - Greatest Hits, Vol. I and II
• Van Halen - 5150
• Aerosmith - A Permanent Vacation
• Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown
• Bob Seger - Stranger in Town
• Don Henley - The End of the Innocence
• The Pretenders - Learning to Crawl
• Don McLean - American Pie
• L7 - Bricks Are Heavy
• Van Halen - For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

Is it obvious at what point in my life I started buying CDs? I should've bought an audiobook, right?

(Image from "F Minus" © 2005 Tony Carillo/ Dist. by UFS, Inc.)