Saturday, January 01, 2005

Happy New Year!

©2004 Aaron Mcgruder

To quote my mother this morning, "Is it Saturday today? It feels like a Sunday!" I think I know what she means. Sunday is (usually) a day off before the work week begins, and New Year's Day is a holiday before the year to come.

I'm not much for resolutions. Like Huey from "The Boondocks" up there, I feel like I'm always resolving to do better and strive for more. (And like with New Year's Resolutions, I seem to often fall short.) But it's natural to look at a fresh new year like snow that hasn't been trampled upon yet and evaluate where you've been and where you'd like to go. So if that's what a resolution truly is (rather than "lose weight," "be less negative," "swear less," "be kind to others," and other stuff I probably won't do), I'll do that.

©2004 Bill Amend

I want to make sure the opportunity I've created for myself at the University of Iowa isn't squandered. I want this venture to be worth the time, effort, and money that's been invested in it. I've never been more excited about life and I want that feeling to continue. And I hope to soon be in a position to help my parents as they've helped me for so many years, more years than they should've had to. (And believe me, after spending the last two weeks with them, it's become clear that they're gonna need help from me and my sister eventually.)

These holidays have also reminded me how important my friendships are. I'd drifted apart from some of my friends back home over the past few years, but I've learned that there are no hard feelings that spending some good time together can't fix. We've known each other too long and been through too much to let some distance and life changes dissolve what are still some very strong bonds. I will work as hard as I can to maintain those ties.

Now let's watch some football! Go Hawkeyes! Beat LSU! Go Blue! Beat Texas! Happy New Year, everyone. 2005 is going to be a good year for all of us.