Thursday, January 13, 2005

Elektra or E-blech-tra?

This week's movie review quote comes from Manohla Dargis of the New York Times (who, based on how often I seem to quote her, is becoming one of my favorite film critics): "There are a few laughs in "Elektra," principally because the script is a joke."

Actually all the critics seem to hate "Elektra." My buddy Matt pointed me over to Rotten Tomatoes, which collects reviews from critics around the country. As I write this, "Elektra" has a 3% freshness rating (a movie that gets above 60% is considered "fresh," or favored by the critics). I haven't determined if that's the worst rating a movie has ever received, but it has to be close. 1 out of 38 critics liked this one. That one person is Bob Townsend of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. (I'd link to the article, but a pain-in-the-ass registration is required.) And he seemed to like Jennifer Garner more than the movie itself.



(Bob apparently uses a different rating system than "thumbs up," but thankfully doesn't tell us which appendage was up for him.)