Monday, January 24, 2005

Football post-mortem

Well, I'm not sure I'm ready to open a sports prognostication site. I said yesterday's games would be Patriots 20, Steelers 16 and Eagles 31, Falcons 23. I got the winners right, but neither game was as close as I thought (or hoped) it would be. The Patriots stomped the Steelers, 41-27 and the Eagles smacked the Falcons, 27-10.

To me, the Eagles' victory was more surprising to me, only because they looked so cool (not difficult in those temperatures), calm, and efficient. I don't know if I've ever seen a quarterback look more relaxed while waiting to make a throw than Donovan McNabb was in that game. He could've sipped a cup of hot chocolate while waiting to find an open receiver. His offensive line provided tremendous protection. And the Eagles' defense was disciplined, plugging every hole they were supposed to, never trying to do too much, and giving the Falcons' quarterback, Michael Vick, nowhere to run.

And the Patriots won their game, mostly because the Steelers let them. Pittsburgh made crucial mistakes throughout, turning the ball over four times, and New England simply capitalized on those errors, scoring immediate touchdowns. The Steelers' spirit was crushed for certain when the Patriots prevented them from converting a 4th down and 1 yard-to-go. Pittsburgh ran the ball well all season long, but couldn't get one yard when it was most needed.

I think the Patriots will win Super Bowl XXXIX in two weeks (and then yes, Mis Hooz, football season will finally be over), but the Eagles won't just be happy to be in the game, as one of my friends said. Having failed in three previous attempts to get to the Super Bowl, I think the Eagles know exactly how difficult the venture is, and won't squander the opportunity. It'll be a close, exciting game.

And this photo is for my sister, who finds Patriots quarterback Tom Brady "adorable" and has crushed on him ever since his days at the University of Michigan.

Get in line, sis. I think I have a man-crush on the guy, too.