Thursday, January 03, 2008

Today's Reading - 01/03/08

Goodbye to All That

I'm glad they're just voting in Iowa tonight, because I'm still undecided on my candidate.  However, Andrew Sullivan makes a very persuasive case for Barack Obama in this month's Atlantic.  For someone like me who feels like he still doesn't know much about Obama and his campaign, it was a much appreciated essay.

Top 10 Reasons To Eat Oatmeal

Did you know January is Oatmeal Month?  Well, according to Quaker Oats, anyway.  And I don't think we can say they're objective on the matter.  But I'm not a Quaker Oats guy.  (No rolling with the rolled oats here.)  Give me the McCann's Irish Oatmeal!  (Steel cut oats!)

In a Coen Brothers Classic, A Mythic Texas Standoff

The Washington Post's Stephen Hunter is a devious rogue of a film critic.  And it's why I love his work.

Happy New Year!  It's the End of the Worst.  Sports Year.  Ever.

Between Michael Vick's dog-fighting charges, the Tim (almost called him "Jack") Donaghy NBA betting scandal, and the Mitchell Report steroid investigation, was 2007 the worst year ever for sports?   Dan Shanoff says yes.  I think 2008's off to a pretty good start so far.

With Nods to the Strike, Late-Night Hosts Return

I haven't watched either David Letterman or Conan O'Brien's return to the airwaves yet, but I did DVR their shows.  And after seeing the impressive facial hair both hosts were sporting last night, I'm sort of lamenting my decision to not grow a beard this winter.  Solidarity in spirit, I guess.