Sunday, January 13, 2008

'A Good Year': Not a Bad Movie For One Reason

The plan was to watch Comanche Moon on CBS, but during the commercial break, I wandered over to one of the many HBO channels digital cable offers and found A Good Year.  I actually saw it in theatrical release, and thought it was okay enough.  A pleasant diversion that was almost inexplicably made by the same people who made Gladiator.  "Unleash hell?"  More like unleash... sap.  Or whimsy.

But really, there's only one thing that makes the movie worth watching.  If you're male, anyway.  (I'll leave the Russell Crowe judgment to the ladies, since he's anything but a bad-ass here.)  I think just about any warm-blooded male would chuck his life away to spend his days with Marion Cotillard in a chateau in Provence.

Here's an interview she did with the NY Times:



Sure, it's all in the accent.  I'd listen to her read the instructions for my cell phone.  But her brief depiction of "fireworks" is utterly charming.

I haven't seen La Vie En Rose yet, but it's at the top of my Netflix queue.  Even if Cotillard is made up to look like Edith Piaf.