Sunday, July 01, 2007

Remodeling the Kitchen, So to Speak...

I'm not a guy who likes to change things on the fly, merely just for the sake of change. In college, I remember sometimes coming home to a completely rearranged apartment, courtesy of my roommate's whim, and it usually didn't sit too well with me. And it wasn't just that there had been a change, and I like things to stay the same. But there seemed to be no good reason for the change, other than he was putting off studying for exams.

Having said that, I can certainly appreciate the need to shake things up for a new look or fresh approach. And the same ol', same ol' had gotten a little old here at Fried Rice Thoughts. I actually meant to do this a couple of months ago, but was a little bit intimidated by "the new" Blogger, and put it off.

However, after having some issues with merely tweaking the template last week, it became pretty apparent that it was time to go with some new hotness. Plus, my mind was pretty clear, having nothing else to do on a Saturday night with a few beers in me, and I didn't care about keeping stuff like those Amazon ads that just made the page load slower, so "the new" didn't seem so bad anymore. (And I feel like kind of an idiot for not figuring it out before.)

So I realize it's nothing to get too excited about. Essentially, it's just throwing on a new coat of paint. It's already been pointed out to me that I could use a logo or banner up top, but that's beyond my limited skill set. (However, if anyone is capable and willing, I have some ideas...) But the sidebars have been cleaned up a bit, with a few new additions and subtractions. And you can finally sort through posts by category now, though the list is hardly comprehensive, as I haven't gone back and labeled every one of them. (Given the sheer amount, I don't know if that'll ever get done.)

I noticed that I only posted seven times in June, which is way behind what I used to do when this was my only baby. (And as I could've expected, the readership has pretty much followed suit.) With Bless You Boys taking up so much of my time now during baseball season, posting every day here just isn't going to happen. But I'm hoping that the new look gives me a little bit of a jumpstart. I certainly had fun playing with the new layout, and it got me excited about posting some stuff (especially if it's not sports-related) again. Maybe not so much this week, because of the 4th of July, but definitely after the holiday. I got some four-sentence movie reviews yearning to be typed out.