Friday, May 25, 2007

That's What She Said! (Episode #24)

A good finale can often save the season of a television show. I'm not saying Season 3 of The Office needed saving, because I thought it was pretty damn fun. But after seeing how certain characters and storylines developed, the overall themes became very clear of the season became quite clear, and I'll enjoy going back to look at these episodes someday.

Of course, participating in the That's What She Said podcast gave this season of The Office a bit more significance than it may have otherwise had for me. I watch every TV show I enjoy very closely. My phone bill to Mis Hooz through seasons of Deadwood, The Sopranos, and Nip/Tuck (among others) could tell you that. But consciously looking for talking points was a different experience.

Fortunately, this season's final episode - "The Job"- gave Matt and I plenty of stuff to talk about. Not just the ending that sent many fans hooting, hollering, and swooning, either. Many things seemed to "click." We found out why certain characters had behaved as they had all season. Others showed their true natures. And perhaps best of all, I think it left fans of the show eagerly anticipating next season already.

Episode #24 is available for your downloading and listening pleasure, either from the That's What She Said home page or via iTunes. If you liked or didn't like what you heard, please send over an e-mail, post a review at our iTunes page, or leave a comment at our blog page. I'm not sure what will happen with the community that developed over the summer hiatus, but I hope the site stays going and people continue to chime in. I know I've enjoyed getting to know several of the "regulars" that stop by.

When Matt originally asked me to co-host an "Office" podcast with him, I didn't quite imagine that I'd be co-hosting virtually every episode. But it was apparent when he played the "tests" for me that he was really onto something, and I hoped Matt would follow through on his ambitions. I think the work he puts into the show is reflected in every episode, and recording the show each week (and learning about podcasting, in general) has been a lot of fun. 25+ episodes is something to be proud of. It's a finished body of work. We've already talked a bit about next season, but honestly, I think both of us need a break before deciding what happens with the podcast.


And now, I'll have to get back to putting some "real" posts up here at The Rice, instead of posting a blurb for the TWSS podcast, linking to the MP3, and calling it a day. (This week, especially, has been something of a vacation.) I don't know how many people follow the podcast and blog page over here, but I'm grateful to anyone that does. And to those who check in over here and don't listen to the podcast, I appreciate you indulging my double-dipping. I know I haven't posted very much new material here lately. Thanks for sticking with me.