Friday, November 17, 2006

Truly a Michigan man

Legendary (and I'm not using that word thoughtlessly) Michigan football coach Bo Schembechler passed away this morning at the age of 77.


Suddenly, tomorrow's Michigan-Ohio State game seems like nothing more than that: Just a game. And I'm struggling to find the right word for the timing of this, because so many apply.

I have a couple of Bo Schembechler stories that I'd like to tell, one of which is particularly special because it involves my father. Dad loved Michigan football and admired Bo greatly. (No one could say the words "a Michigan man" with more pride and quiet ferocity than Coach Schembechler.) And at some point, I really want to write about the time we both met Bo because I really do feel like that day had an impact on my life. Right now, however, it doesn't feel quite right.

Rest in peace, Bo.