Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Name your spaceship!

I found this via the "Table of Malcontents" blog at Wired.com. It's a list from filmcritic.com, ranking the Top 10 Movie Spaceships.

They seemed to get it right, because I can't think of any spaceships to add to the list off the top of my head. At least I can't think of anything from movies, other than the X-Wing and Tie Fighters from the Star Wars movies. (Tie Fighters rule! They could spin all around, you could fly three of them side-by-side in a Death Star trench, and they made that screaming noise when they flew by! Plus, they were just easier toys to handle as a kid.)

I could rattle off a few from TV shows. The Colonial Vipers and Cylon Raiders from Battlestar Galactica (old and new). The Star Fighters and Draconian Marauders from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.

And then there's the one ship that I was ready to shout out, but kept quiet because I thought it was only on a TV show. But wait - it was also in a movie! (The Wired blog mentioned it too, so it's not like I thought of it first.) The Serenity! From the movie, which happens to be also titled Serenity. And the TV show, Firefly! Not ringing a bell?

So if I say a "03-K64 Firefly-class mid-bulk transport with a standard radion accelerator core," that does nothing for you?

Um... Browncoats, unite? No? Still nothing?

Okay, whatever. But if you're making a spaceship list, the Serenity should be on there, man. Is there anything we're missing?