Friday, December 10, 2004

'Tis the Season

Anyone notice that Jesus seems to be everywhere these days? (And I'm not asking that in a "have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal savior" kind of way; please, open the door again.) All of the news channels seem to be doing their own one-hour specials and documentaries on Jesus, with maybe some Mary and Mary Magdalene thrown in for time's sake. And both Time and Newsweek have cover stories on Jesus (or more specifically, his birth) this week. I know Christmas is coming up, so Jesus is an obvious topic at hand. But I don't recall it being quite like this. I think it's Mel Gibson's fault.

(I'd also say the election and "moral values" had something to do with this - and I'm sure it does - but these features and specials were surely being produced or already produced by the time the election rolled around.)