Thursday, September 20, 2007

Today's Reading - 09/20/07

Mother Nature’s Restless Sons

If the movie is anywhere near as good as the book was, I expect to be blown away by Into the Wild. Sean Penn has made three dark, challenging films as a director, and this shouldn't be an exception. This article about the process to get the movie made has me even more intrigued. It'll be interesting to see if people's opinions of Christopher McCandless are as split - Was he some kind of visionary maverick or just a delusional whacko? - among filmgoers as they were among readers.

My decision to opt out of the macho food-writing movement

Has food writing really become more macho? Food television probably has, and those are the types of shows (Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern) I enjoy watching these days. Going to a foreign country and eating the unmentionable parts of an animal is mas macho. Anyway, Paul Levy seems like he's done with that.

Jesse James, an Outlaw for All Seasons

If you want to be a movie star/action hero, I'd imagine Jesse James is a role you covet. So I guess it shouldn't be surprising to see how many actors have played him over the years. It sounds like Brad Pitt's version will be a bit more contemplative than roguish. But the title (The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford) kind of gives away the ending, doesn't it?

Why the enraged Patriots will go undefeated

Okay, the New England Patriots likely won't go 16 games without losing. But they were probably already the favorites going into this season, based on the upgrades to their linebackers and wide receivers through free agency. And now, after being sent to the corner for using cameras to steal defensive signals from the opposition, they seem to hold a grudge against those who think they've won so many games over the past 5-6 years by cheating.

Don't Be That Guy

Thankfully (for my own dignity), I'm not guilty of any of these. Though I have been known to occasionally poke at Facebook. It's also been pointed out to me that belonging to as many online social networks as I do is my own cross to bear. (via Pop Candy)