Thursday, September 06, 2007

Today's Reading - 09/06/07

Christian Bale: The A.V. Club Interview

I'm really looking forward to 3:10 to Yuma. I love that Westerns appear to be making a comeback, but I'd probably see a movie with Christian Bale and Russell Crowe in it, regardless of the genre. I also cost myself a couple hours of sleep the other night when American Psycho was on one of the HBOs. Besides Batman Begins (duh), that's probably my favorite Bale performance.

Why is Tony Snow's 401(k) Empty?

I still don't know whether to laugh or kind of admire Tony Snow for his (presumed) honesty, in explaining why he was stepping down as White House Press Secretary. Isn't that why most of us quit a job or seek another one? I need to make more money.

How Mark Zuckerberg Turned Facebook Into the Web's Hottest Platform

Last night, my friend Brian poked fun at me for being on social networks, saying no one over 30 should be on MySpace. Yet "the fastest-growing segment of Facebook users is over 35, a group that represents 11 percent of all site users." I still sometimes feel, however, like the old townie hanging out at a campus bar on dollar pitcher night when I sign onto Facebook. And of course, now that old dudes use it, the kids say Facebook sucks.

Time Inc. to Close Business 2.0

Okay, I feel like kind of an ass for subscribing to Business 2.0 a few months ago. But the offer was soooo cheap, like eight bucks for 12 issues. (Plus, for whatever reason, I felt like I should be reading more business news.) I think I actually received four issues of my subscription. Looks like I shouldn't expect anything after that fifth one. Or since everyone is being moved to Fortune, maybe I'll get seven issues of that.

Fired Van Halen Bassist: “I Found Out on the Internet”

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I was a big Van Halen fan in junior high and high school. (I outgrew that in college, though still have my moments of relapse.) Part of what made their sound distinct was Michael Anthony's voice on back-up vocals. Even from David Lee Roth to Sammy Hagar to whomever else has been Van Halen's lead singer, Anthony's voice was there. Are they really going to do a reunion tour without him?