Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Overrated? Maybe, but I think it's cool

I haven't been to the Michigan Theater as much as I would like recently, but that could change over the next few months. The Sundance Institute is celebrating its 25th anniversary with a series of several well-known films that either originated at the institute or debuted at the Sundance Film Festival. As reported in Sunday's Ann Arbor News, the Michigan Theater was chosen as one of the 14 art-house cinemas across the country that will show the series over a 25-week period. (The series and participating theaters were announced back in January.)

Among the films to be shown from May to November are Sex, Lies, and Videotape, Blood Simple, Memento, American Splendor, and Clerks. And for some regional flavor, Sundance films with local ties, such as Roger & Me, The Upside of Anger, and The Purple Rose of Cairo will also play. (The complete list of movies, dates, and showtimes can be seen here.) It's an independent film geek-out.

Maybe it's a bit overrated. Sure, I can see most, if not all, of those films on video, and watch them from the comfort of my couch. It'd be cheaper that way, too. But I think any film is better on the big screen, and how often do you get an opportunity to watch older movies like these in such a venue? I want to see Donnie Darko and Welcome to the Dollhouse in a theater, with a tub of popcorn in my lap. Yes, I've already seen a lot of these movies that way, and many of them at the Michigan. But now, I get the chance to do it again. I don't know what you think, but to me, that's pretty #@$%ing cool. Beers at Ashley's afterwards!