Monday, October 31, 2005

Happy birthday... sort of

Well, would you look at that? This past Saturday marked the one-year anniversary of this little exercise in narcissism called Fried Rice Thoughts.

It's been one year since I decided, "Hey, I don't spend enough time on the internet - let me start a blog!" One year since I felt like this could give me an outlet that I wasn't getting as a writer. And one year since I looked at what people were doing, writing about what they had for lunch, or bought at the mall, and thought to myself, "Shit, I can do that."

(Image © 2005 United Feature Syndicate, Inc.)

Okay, that's a bit mean. I also found plenty to inspire me. People writing about the things I love - movies, books, TV, music, comics, sports, etc., etc. Astute observations. Hilarious stories. And touching ones, too. Outrage and indignation. Thoughtfulness and insight. Views I agree and disagree with. And so much to learn from.

I wanted in. And thanks to you guys, I'm here. I'd like to think I'd write here almost every day, no matter what. But the truth is, it's a hell of a lot more fun when you know other people are reading and honestly caring about what you have to say. If you're reading this, you have my gratitude.

It's really been quite a year. I've been fortunate enough to write about some great times in my life. And it's been great to have this forum during some interesting times in this world and culture. But I've also dealt with some things I wish would never have happened. And in those instances, this wasn't just about ego - it was much-needed therapy. I'm just grateful to have the opportunity to express all of those thoughts, and share them with you.

Really, the only thing I hoped for by this point, and haven't received, is groupies. Let's make that happen in Year Two.

Please indulge me for a paragraph while I go all Oscar-speech on you. I'd like to thank those who have found this blog, told others about it, and added to the overall shared experience. John at peregrine.blog, Evan at Orotundity, and Susannah at Pub of Knowledge. My arch-nemesis, Raging Red. Yoni Cohen, who told a naive fledgling blogger what the hell a blogroll was. Sam at Blue Cats and Red Sox, Greg Eno at Out of Bounds, Brian at Beyond Boxscores. And to the others who generously link to this blog, I appreciate anyone and everyone you've brought my way, and will always try my best to return the favor. If I forgot anyone here, I apologize. Please e-mail me, point it out, and I'll click on that little "edit" button to fix the slight.

And I'm sure as hell going to thank those who have inspired and encouraged me over the past year. Chris. Mrs. Kraiza. Clint, who's breaking hearts up and down the west coast. Matt, who's kept me in line, reminding me that I said I'd never write an entry about what I had for lunch. And, of course, Fried Rice Thoughts' New York bureau chief, Mis Hooz, whose feedback, encouragement, and friendship is more valuable than I'll ever be able to express here.

Ready for another year of this? I hope you come along for the ride.