Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Mr. Casselberry, tell us what you like about TV

One of the things I was really excited about in September was the new football season. So far, I have to say, it's been a bit of a letdown. Between my favorite teams being largely disappointing and the absence of my #1 football-watching buddy, football season has been bittersweet for me.

But something else has come along to bring me joy in September. I've also been eagerly (and somewhat obnoxiously - last night, anyway) anticipating the new season of Nip/Tuck on F/X, and thankfully, last night's premiere was not a letdown. (Okay, the writer in me says it was probably a little slow in places. But he's rather finicky.) If you're a regular viewer, you found out what happened after the Season 2 cliffhanger (and, like me, had to sit down on something soft after the revelation.) And if you were a newcomer, like the visiting Lil' Sis, you realized this show is so much more than it appears to be on the surface.

"Oh my God, what the hell are we watching?" said the naive young lady who thought we'd just be watching some superficial show about Miami plastic surgeons. No, Lil' Sis, give your big brother a little credit. Nip/Tuck is so much smarter, darker, and more twisted than that. How about a storyline about a humongously obese woman who's spent so much time on her couch that she now literally has to be peeled off from it? Or a serial slasher - "The Carver" - who's been slicing the faces of all the beautiful people in Miami Beach? Now you're talking. That is great television.

"Holy $#!+, did you see Nip/Tuck last night?!" could become a weekly feature here at Fried Rice Thoughts - just to warn you. (I probably should've warned you about the football Mondays. Sorry about that.) Man, I slept so well last night. I love TV.