Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Campbell Brown, Attack Dog

I used to have a major TV crush on Campbell Brown. Years ago, I would actually wake up early on weekend mornings to watch her co-host Weekend Today with Lester Holt.

Eventually, I got over that - probably when she married a Republican strategist. But this interview with Tucker Bounds, a spokesman for the John McCain campaign, reminded me of at least one reason I enjoyed watching her on TV. She can be pretty damn good at her job.

How does Bounds defend the selection of Sarah Palin as McCain's running mate? Well...



"I don't think there should be any problem defending her experience." And yet, there he goes having problems defending it.

Apparently, she took it a bit far for the McCain campaign's liking, however. McCain canceled an interview with Larry King to punish CNN for Brown's "unfair" line of questioning.

Watching that reminded me of trying to defend my first semester college grades as a freshman to my parents. There was no defense. Especially since Mama Cass could invoke tears and guilt, which Brown doesn't have to resort to in that interview. She didn't need to.

(via Andrew Sullivan)