Monday, June 04, 2007

Buy Him Some Peanuts and Cracker Jack...

I think I'll be busy vomiting my displeasure about the Detroit Pistons over at Sweaty Men Endeavors today, as well as working on something for Bless You Boys (Did I leave anything out to plug?), but for those who have taken the trouble to stop by, I'll try my best to provide entertainment. It's sports-related, but so funny and surreal that I think it'll fit anywhere.

If you didn't see this on TV at some point over the weekend, I'll give you a quick recap. Phillip Wellman, a manager for the minor league (Double-A) Mississippi Braves became unhinged in an argument (apparently over ball-and-strike calls) with umpires on Friday night. Most guys just get in the umpire's face, say the magic swear words that get them ejected, and then unload everything on their mind. Wellman took it a little further than that. Either that, or he'd been holding something in for a long time.

Check out this video. You might actually be seeing a man lose his mind. I'm still trying to figure out what he was trying to say by "crawling through the trenches" and using the rosin bag as a hand grenade. When I'm not giggling about it, that is.



I didn't think we'd ever see a guy top Joe Mikulik's explosion last summer. If I never do anything sportswriting-related again, I'll always remember my first assignment at a Detroit Tigers game. Afterwards, I was in the Tigers clubhouse to get some quotes, and a bunch of players were giggling in front of a huge flat-screen, watching Mikulik absolutely lose it. (Amazingly, the dude still has a job with the Asheville Tourists.) That was a good night for me.