Monday, May 15, 2006

Overheard in Ann Arbor

Bookseller #1: You're getting a gift card for your mom on Mother's Day?

Customer: What's wrong with that?

BS #1: Nothing, it's just--

C: She likes books, she likes coffee, she likes magazines--

BS #1: Okay. I'm just--

C: I'm getting her other stuff. I'm getting her flowers. I got her some music. I'm cooking her dinner...

Bookseller #2: What are you getting your mother for Mother's Day?

BS #1: Well... er... uh... I haven't...

C: HA!

BS #2: Uh-huh.

C: Thank you.

BS #2: You're welcome.

BS #1: I have a couple of ideas... I might [begins gesturing with hands] get her...

C: Yeah, I tried waving my hands in the air, too. Didn't work. Couldn't think of anything.

BS #1: Maybe I'll get her a gift card.

BS #2: Maybe you should.

C: Don't knock it.

-- Barnes & Noble

Overheard by: ???