Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sell Crazy Someplace Else; We're All Stocked Up Here

I know I'm almost 24 hours late with this, but I just watched Ann Curry's interview on Dateline with the octuplets' mother (or "Octo-Mom," as she was called on TV Newser) via DVR. My opinion is the same after viewing as it was beforehand.


This woman is fucking insane.

I realize how mean that sounds. And how reductive and dismissive calling someone "crazy" can be. I've learned not to throw that word around lightly. Hey, the woman's own mother called this decision "unconscionable."

But this is batshit loony territory. And I'm not even talking about whether she thinks she's Angelina Jolie or whatever. (Though if that's true, she's certifiable.)

Consider this quote (via Andrew Sullivan, by way of Secular Right):

The nine-week premature octoplet’s delivery required 46 doctors, nurses, and assistants; in twelve days, their care has likely cost at least $300,000 and counting.

And isn't that just the tip of the iceberg? How many couples struggle to pay for child care? How many opt to put off having children until they can afford it, work more, decide that one parent will stop working, or enlist grandparents to help out?

I'd love to know what job Octo-Mom plans on nabbing after she finishes school that's going to support 14 children. (Think about that number. If someone put 14 books on a table, you'd say, "Man, that's a lot to read.") Has she been paying attention to what's going on with the economy? Or does she see books and reality TV shows in her future? (She's also accepting donations through her website, which I can't really bring myself to link to.)

Maybe she's also hoping for a federal bailout.