Sunday, February 01, 2009

Obligatory Super Bowl Pick

I realize the popular consensus seems to be that the Steelers' defense will rule the day, but I'm not so sure their offense can outscore the Cardinals. And I like the fact that Arizona's coach, Ken Whisenhunt, used to coach with the Steelers, and is familiar with their scheme and personnel.

It'd also be more fun to see the underdog win. So...

Arizona 26, Pittsburgh 20.


I know - I should be rooting for the Steelers. Rust belt city, same colors as Iowa, etc. But I really dig Kurt Warner and his story. Even if he lays the Jesus talk on a bit thick.

The Cardinals also have more players who went to Michigan (five, to the Steelers' two), which is how I've determined rooting interests in the past. And I'm thinking of growing my hair like Larry Fitzgerald's. Though I'm not sure that's a good look for my people.

But a clean, exciting game, with some funny commercials thrown in, should make for an enjoyable evening.