Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Today's Reading - 03/04/08

I Need a Virtual Break. No, Really.

The NY Times' Mark Bittman (whose new blog is very enjoyable) pledges to take a day away from the internet, computer, and cellphone. As someone who also battles a serious internet addiction, I'm looking forward to my trip to New York this weekend, during which I should be offline. I might need Mis Hooz's help in staying disconnected, however.

Thank you sir, may I have another?

For bloggers who yearn for press credentials, be careful what you wish for. Check out where some of the traditional press has to file their stories from. On the bright side, there is a very, very short walk to the bathroom.

Online Scrabble Craze Leaves Game Sellers at Loss for Words

Getting through a day without playing Scrabulous on Facebook has become more difficult than I ever would've guessed. I've come to love it and am embarrassed to admit how many times I click over to see if my opponents have made their next move. Don't take that away from me (and countless others), Hasbro.

Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre retires after 17 seasons, says he’s ‘tired’

As a Detroit Lions fan, I can't say I'll entirely miss Brett Favre. (Though at one point, before the Matt Millen regime, the Lions actually beat him and the Packers occasionally. Fire Millen!) But it'll be strange to have a NFL season without Favre. The guy has played for the Green Bay Packers for almost as long as I've followed pro football.

Sleepy-Eyed Writer, Wandering Byzantium

One of my favorite authors, Richard Price, has published a new novel, titled Lush Life. It might be quite a while before I get to it (maybe - ahem - when the book comes out in paperback), but I'll get there eventually (though I should probably read his previous novel, Samaritan, first). In the meantime, profiles like this, which follow Price through the neighborhoods that inspired and informed his writing, are almost as compelling.