Tuesday, February 06, 2007

And the Ad... Was Gone

Since I wrote about this yesterday, I figured I might as well follow up on the outrage over the Snickers "kissing mechanics" ad.

If you haven't heard already, the whole thing is gone. Vanished. Yanked off stage like a bad act at the Apollo. Tossed out like a Snickers bar left on your dashboard during a hot summer day. Gone like it never happened - except we know it did.

I guess I didn't realize just how far Snickers took the joke (or attempt at one) at its website, never bothering to look at the various alternate endings that were offered.

▪▪ AMERICAblog has a bunch of suggestions for expressing outrage to Mars, Inc., Snickers' parent company. (Though now that the campaign's been pulled, I imagine the protest has been somewhat dampened.)

▪▪ Here's Deadspin's take on the matter, where I found all this stuff to begin with.