Friday, January 09, 2009

Stand For Every One of Us!

Why? Just because.



Well, that's not entirely true.

I was actually inspired by this college basketball blog that wanted highlights of Davidson's superstar guard, Stephen Curry, intercut with an old video of Queen performing "Flash" (otherwise known as the theme to the 1980 version of Flash Gordon). And I was initially going to post the mash-up that was created.

But then I thought, no, I want the pure stuff. Don't cut in any baking soda.

I'm not sure I've ever loved half a song as much as I do this one. (Back when I co-hosted That's What She Said with Matt Sommer, one of my favorite episodes was when he cut "Flash" into the outro.) That throbbing, pounding beat from piano and bass, building toward a crescendo, an exclamation! Flash! Ah-aah! No current science fiction or fantasy film would dare be so glam and campy.

The rest of the tune, I can do without. It's like an entirely different song. But that first 1:05, it gives life meaning.

(via The Dagger)