Monday, January 26, 2009

Happy Chinese New Year!

Don't panic if you encounter people running around in elaborate dragon or lion costumes at your Chinese restaurant of choice today. It's Chinese New Year! And 2009 is the Year of the Ox (or Ji Chou).

That has me particularly excited for this year's celebration because the Ox is my sign on the Chinese Zodiac. Big things, baby!

Well, perhaps not without some struggle, as the Year of the Ox "symbolizes strength gathered through unity, harmony, obedience, courage, and hard slog." We Oxen should expect a "dutiful, family-oriented, and dependable year."

Or maybe I'll just get a tattoo. (Although I might be kind of old for that, at this point.)

Here's a description of the Ox which (unfortunately) fits me pretty well. I might opt for this one, however, as it sounds a bit more noble.

And here are the traditional dishes one might eat on Chinese New Year. Fish and dumplings, I think we can do. The other stuff? Well, we'll see.

Congratulations and be prosperous! Oh, and don't buy shoes or books, or talk about death today. Bad luck!