Sunday, May 04, 2008

Making Little Kids Fill Their Pants Since 1978

I probably shouldn't admit this, but Lou Ferrigno as The Incredible Hulk, flexing and roaring in a thunderstorm, scared me a bit when I first saw him as a five-year-old. I'm happy to say that I fast outgrew any fears of overmuscled green men with torn shirts and bad wigs.

But judging from some of the whines, whimpers, and cries I heard from children before a showing of Iron Man yesterday (PG-13 rating, parents!), the 2008 computer-generated version of the Hulk, raging roars and all, might scare a whole new generation of little ones. Or maybe it was having to watch more slam-bam montage with symphony and chorus booming on the soundtrack.



At least those same children won't later have to deal with seeing this version of the Hulk trying to cash in on five years of fame decades later at comic book conventions. (That's right, Ferrigno. I remember you cutting in front of me in the hot dog line eight years ago in San Diego.)