Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Don't Think Twice, It's All Right

I don't normally nudge people to check out movies here (though maybe that's what the Four-Sentence Movie Reviews are kind of about), but when a good one is out there that deserves a bigger audience. I'm Not There was released on DVD today, and I thought it was just about the best movie I saw last year. Here's a trailer, though I'm not sure Todd Haynes' film can be summed up in two minutes:



And here's my Four-Sentence Movie Review, if you're interested. Really, Cate Blanchett's performance is worth your time. Though I didn't have a problem with Tilda Swinton winning the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress, we're going to look back in five to 10 years and wonder how someone other than Blanchett could've won.

If you're a Bob Dylan fan, I can't imagine you not liking this movie. And if you're not a Dylan fan, but a movie fan, Haynes puts a creative spin on the biopic, a genre that's become pretty tired and predictable. (He cast both Batman and The Joker to play Dylan!) Unconventional, yes. But it seems to capture the elusive spirit of the man whose story he's telling extremely well.