Friday, December 30, 2005

Gimme DVD!

This week, The Onion's A.V. Club listed "Eight Things the World Needs on DVD." Only two of their picks, however, got an "Amen!" out of me ("Twin Peaks" and "Animaniacs"), which inspired me to think of my own DVD wants and needs.

Ladies and gentleman, friends and readers, I present:

Six Entirely Reasonable (at least to me) DVD Requests

1. Paris, Texas (Special Edition): Some of you might say, "Ian, Paris, Texas is already on DVD." Yes, but that thing might as well be a coaster. All it has is the movie. Sure, that's better than no movie on DVD. But one of the most beautiful, fascinating, and wonderfully written films ever made deserves the spa treatment with plenty of bling. I want commentaries from Wim Wenders and Sam Shepard. I want interviews with Nastassja Kinski and Harry Dean Stanton. I want documentaries - not just on the film, but on Ry Cooder's haunting soundtrack, also. Hell, while you're at it, film something about the real Paris, Texas, too. And talk to the band Travis, whose name is taken from the main character of the film.

2. Pinky & The Brain - The Complete Series: Are you pondering what I'm pondering? This cartoon was the last good reason to wake up early on Saturday mornings. Kids could laugh at the cute cartoon mice, while adults appreciated the witty jokes and sneaky parodies. Gee, Ian, what do you want to do tonight? The same thing I want to do every night, Pinky. Watch this series on DVD!

3. The Tick - The Entire Cartoon Series: I'm not talking about the FOX live-action series, which is already available on DVD. That was very funny in its own right (Batmanuel? HA!), but pales in comparison to the cartoon, which was another reason to get up early on Saturday mornings. A brilliant parody of superhero mythos and pop culture that could also entertain the kids, while amusing the hell out of adults. One of the villains was a life-sized sunflower named "El Seed"! El Seed! You know you want to see that!

4. Saturday Night Live - The Music: Again, I know a five-volume set of SNL musical performances was released two years ago to commemorate the show's 25th anniversary. And it's a very good set, with a variety of musicians and performances. But I want more. In fact, I want them all. Every act. Every song. Every single one of them - good, bad, and terrible. (Actually, what I want to see more than anything is The Replacements' 1986 appearance on SNL. It's not just because they're one of my all-time favorite bands. Apparently, they were forever banned from the show after showing up drunk, Paul Westerberg said "fuck" during "Bastards of Young," and trashing their hotel room.)

5. VH1 Storytellers - The Complete Series: Yet again, some of these performances are available on DVD. But I want all of them. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were on that show. Give it to me. Bruce Springsteen. I want it. Counting Crows. I'll watch it. Def Leppard. Even if I'm the only one who asks for it. Lenny Kravitz, Tom Waits, Coldplay, and R.E.M? Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I want them all.

6. Gideon's Crossing - The Complete Series: This has to be the only TV medical drama in the past 10 years that didn't make it. Maybe it was the wrong show at the wrong time. People already had ER and Chicago Hope to scratch their hospital itch. Gideon's Crossing had the amazing Andre Braugher, along with everything the good medical shows have: fascinating cases, compelling characters, mentors and students, conflicts with administrators, and I think there was even some sex in there. Not as much as Grey's Anatomy. But maybe they were getting to that. (Wouldn't you have to, with a babe like Rhona Mitra on the show?)

Care to add anything to the list?