Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Team Venezuela = Average Joe's?

We try not to double-dip between blogs too much, but I thought this post from Bless You Boys might play well here, too.

For those non-baseball fans in the crowd, countries from around the world are taking part in an international tournament called the World Baseball Classic. And many major league players have just left their teams to participate. There's a distinct Detroit Tigers flavor to the Venezuela squad, with four of them playing for national pride. Yesterday, with the team taking the field for the first time, photos were released of their uniforms.

Here's a picture of Miguel Cabrera and Magglio Ordonez sporting the national togs:


As soon as I saw the uniforms, I started to get an itch in my brain. They looked so familiar to me, yet I couldn't quite place them. Then sometime after dinner, it hit me: They're the same outfits that Average Joe's wore in Dodgeball. Take a look for yourself. Now batting, Peter LaFleur:


As Pepper Brooks might say, "It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em."

(Either that, or he'd say, "Effin' A, Cotton, Effin' A!")