Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Requiem for a nickname

According to a gossip item in the New York Daily News (scroll down to the bottom), Sean "P. Diddy" Combs reveals in the latest US Weekly that he wants to change his nickname. I don't think he should've nixed "Puff Daddy" in the first place, but hey, that's how he rolls.

I'm a firm believer that one should never give oneself a nickname. Believe me, I've tried. "I-Dog" never really stuck with my friends. Nor did "I-Diggity." Nicknames can only come from other people. Though I've never been too happy with their efforts. Past attempts have included "I-Beam," the grammatically incorrect yet phonetically aesthetic "E," and for some reason, "Dooba."

What will P. Diddy come up with? I might actually lose a minute or two of sleep over this. But then I think about his Diet Pepsi truck commercial (which still cracks me up - oh, Carson Daly, you're such a tool), and I fall asleep with a smile on my face.